Saturday, July 25, 2009

Day 519- The challenge is still out there

Enjoy the ride, do it in your seat, Burn 900+ calories in an hour and get to work by 10:40 am.
It is now 6:25 the gym opens @ 7 am. I went to sleep @ 1 am. I am motivated to meet the challenge with aplomb. : complete and confident composure or self-assurance : poise
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/aplomb
Now, that is a perfect word to describe my emotion right now.
I would love to crank out a bunch of crunches to compliment my ride this morning. I figure if you add in 1 hour and 10 minutes of riding and forty five minutes of crunching and stretching along with the plank that should get me out of the gym by 9 o'clock. In that timeline, I should be able to shower and be ready for a nice full day of work. As any great planner knows it all looks good on paper, now let us put it into action- Can I get an AMEN?

It goes to show you even in a setback you find a victory. As I jumped up on the cycle i started pedaling and realized two things one my legs were very stiff and two this was going to be a real challenge. I figured my legs were stiff from using different muscles to pedal for 60 minutes all sitting down. Then I figured the challenge would lie in getting 900 calories burned in an hour. i suppose one option would be a good long warm up before I started the 60 minute ride. But I did not feel I had the time for that. So, I plowed ahead and it was a sluggish start. Probably my worst in 518 days. Why? Simple I generate a lot of my momentum by standing up and pedaling. When I stand up I use different muscles. By using different muscles it helps me gain strength and improves my stamina. Now, with this new plan I have to hold back my effort and work my sit down muscles on a broken machine! I love the ride and i love the challenge but this was unexpected. My focus now is going to have to be to get my legs ready for the clunky ride and doing it sitting down.

As it turned out despite a lousy start of only 350 calories burned in 30 min( that is correct only 350 where I usually do around 450+ ) I gathered myself for a strong finish of 456 in the 2ND 30 minutes of the ride. My juices were flowing after that strong finish so I charged ahead to some crunches and managed to do 13 straight minutes on the plank exercise. I wish I had more time because I would have workout a lot more today.

Inspiration- hey, we are only here for a flicker of time we must make the most of our allotted time. Chow for now-

No comments:

Post a Comment