Friday, July 17, 2009

Day 511 - I am among the giants in all-time homerun hitters


As I continue my adventure I realize that the 500's represent to me numbers of home runs that have been hit by the career leaders in Major League Baseball. To some people that may sound wacky but to me its right up my alley. As I must confess here, I am a sports statistic geek. There, I said it,"geek". I could talk sports and go on endlessly( here is a new word I just learned "bloviate") about all the statistics-http://bloviate.net/bloviate.htm
I know about sports. Since baseball is my favorite sport when I woke up this morning and thought about the workout I said, "today is 511 Mel Ott". Mel Ott played for the NY Giants way back when and hit 511 career home runs.
Bottom line after today Good Lord willing, Mel and I will share a number. To me that is cool. Heck, ole Mel is a Hall of Famer and has Little League Baseball division's named after him. Here is a list of all the career leaders in home runs: This is the 511 to 586 club.
Frank Robinson 586
Mark McGwire 583
Harmon Killebrew 573
Alex Rodriguez 570 still playing
Rafael Palmeiro 569
Reggie Jackson 563
Jim Thome 555 -still playing
Mike Schmidt 548
Mickey Mantle 536
Manny Ramirez 536
Jimmie Foxx 534
Willie McCovey 521
Frank Thomas 521
Ted Williams 521
Ernie Banks 512
Eddie Mathews 512
Mel Ott 511- 7/17/09= 903
Now I need to go and meet Mr Ott!
Voila! By the grace of God!
The challenge was met! Did a 903. Man, I'll tell ya that was a battle. I kept track of every minute. Each minute I knew I needed to burn 15 calories to keep the pace and I did it! I love the battle. I was sore and stiff so I loosened up on the ride did a 151 in 1st 10 minutes then a 325 in 1st 20 then a 450 in 1st 30minutes. At that point I knew I was in for the battle! I got 600 @ 40 minutes / Right on pace @ 676 @ 45 minutes - Was at 750 @ 50 minutes. Man, at that stage you got the tiger by the tail you just have to hang on for the ride. It is kind of amazing your mind says "move it" your body says "are you nuts"? Also your head is swimming with the rush of endorphins asking can we keep doing this? Meanwhile, your mind is telling your body just keep on pedaling. When you take the time to break it down it is comical. It is comical because of all the crazy conversation that goes on in your head as you approach the finish line. When its over you got your total for the 60 minutes. You look at the minutes and your first reaction has got to be good! It is good because ;
1) you finished
2) its over
3) you feel pride of accomplishment on a challenging task
4) you've added to your streak
5) You have a chance to catch your breath
I do not think I left anything out.If I have I will talk about it at a later time.
Here is something I do that I wonder if any other people in training or are on a workout streak do. I take in no food or drink prior to the workout or during the workout. Also I hardly ever listen to an ipod or mp3 player. After the workout is over and I leave the gym and weigh myself then and only then do I drink or eat anything. I usually drink juice and seltzer( no Gatorade too sugary) Then I eat fruit. Sometimes, (I should do it more) eat oatmeal with fruit. I love that routine. The routine leaves me feeling strong and refreshed.
Well, here is to you Mel Ott- 511 is in the books!
Eddie and Ernie I look forward to seeing you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment