Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Day 593- We must always stand guard of our thoughts

The Yankees are overwhelming favorites to beat the Minnesota Twins tonight. The Yankees are big favorites to win tonight because the Twins have just finished an incredibly wild comeback to win the division. So what does this have to do with my blog? It is inspiring for anybody that may feel overwhelmed or in a situation that does not look good now.

Consider the chances the Twins had of accomplishing what they accomplished. The Twins were out of the playoffs and needed to win every game of the 4 games they had left. They also needed to have the team in front of them, the Detroit Tigers, lose 3 or more of the last 4 games they had left. If both teams did what needed to be done the two teams would be tied and would play a winner take all playoff game. The winner would go on to play the Yankees ( ranked as the best team in baseball) the following night.

Now understand this because this where the inspiration comes in. What the Twins were attempting to do had never been done before. In other words, the Twins were attempting to rewrite history. They were moving in a direction that no one moved before. When they completed it, baseball as old and established as it is had never seen anything like it before.

These guys never gave up hope! We must all never give up hope.
One of the better ways to clarify that thought is always remember -

"What the mind of man can conceive and believe it can achieve"

Today I go after 593- Remember what Franklin Delano Roosevelt said in he day of infamy speech- we will gain the inevitable triumph - so help us God!

So, those words were ringing in my ears as I found myself on an early slowish pace. I decided I was going to average 15 calories burned in one hour's time. I decided that I was going to burn a total of 900 calories in an hour. I organized my plan of doing that when I realized how tough that was to be if, I did not pick up the pace. Here is something I have learned over the last 593 days of riding. When the body is being wracked by the pain of the challenge of pedaling as fast and hard as you can it is not always that easy to come up with a plan to accomplish your riding goals. When I ride I always have a goal in mind to burn 900 calories hour. Sometimes it comes easy other times its a fun battle.
Today by the time I caught my breath and noticed I was on track for a sub par performance I figured I had to ride faster that I was presently going. However, the question was how much faster? Here is what I added up in my head. I was burning 13 1/2 calories per minute after 10 minutes. So I guessed that if I was to burn 15 calories per minute I needed to burn an average of one and a half more per minute to reach my goal of burning 15 calories per minute. The number I was determined to meet was 16 calories per minute. I was going to burn 16 calories a minute until I was on the average burning 15 per minute.

Bottom line, I did it, I kept getting real close to burning enough calories to get on pace but then I would just fall short. I must have done that for about 10 minutes, at least. I would be 3 off the pace, then 4 off the pace, then, 2 off then ,1 off then, 2 off. Finally, I caught the pace - ooh what a feeling! The more I do this the more I realize how similar this is compare to a race against another person. The only difference, the number represents the person or opponent. -COOL-
After I completed the ride I did a series of crunches about 900 or so. Then I did the plank for only 22 minutes.

I hope your visit into my world has given all some hope, inspiration and fun. As we set for the big 594!

No comments:

Post a Comment