Monday, August 10, 2009

Day 535 - I remember this day 41 years ago like it was yesterday

The talk on the radio was about Mickey Mantle passing Jimmie Foxx for the career lead in home runs. Mantle and Foxx were tied at 534 home runs. At the time they were both ranked third on the all-time list. Only Babe Ruth 714 and Willie Mays 585 had more. What exciting time for me at least. My hero, Mickey Mantle was about to become the third on "the list" of the best home run hitters of all time. I was a boy of 11years and 23 days. For the last 3 weeks or so all I kept hearing about was that the Mick was 1 home run away from passing Foxx. I was young but I sensed that as battered as Mickey was he probably was not going to play much longer. So in my mind with the season only having 10 games left he was running out of time. I feel I have done enough to motivate myself to go after Mr. Foxx today and get my 535Th. This one is for you Mickey.

Here is a thought, let us dedicate all our workouts to someone?

OK Mick, that one was for you. I started like a house of fire did 472 in the 1st 30 minutes that is almost a 16 calories burned per minute pace.Then can you believe it? I did less than 400 in the next 30 minutes. A freak in 380 that's not good - And I cannot explain the drop. I had an almost easy pace going in the 1st 25 or so minutes I slowed a little heading into the 30 minute mark. However, in the 30Th minute BAM I hit a wall. Legs felt a little sore and tightened up. I was was at 605 at the 40 minute mark. That is a 605-472= 133 in in 10 minutes that is a big drop considering I was averaging a 16 per minute @ 20 minutes, 15.73 at the 30 minute and by the 40 minute minute mark I was at 15.13. Bottom line, I just kept going down. The good news is that my disappointment did not last long I bounced back and was excited to do 4600 + crunches and set my own personal record for consecutive minutes doing the plank exercise.Yep, sure enough I was able to do the plank today for 18minutes and 10 seconds straight. Can I get an AMEN? That was fun!
So my abs were worked well and so were my legs. Heck, I must have been totally spent to not be able to do better than an 852. Tomorrow we tie the Mick! 536 can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment