Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Day 691- Stimulus pause response

Pretty simple when you think about it. We all get stimulated. Don't you think? The dictionary defines stimulus as:
: something that rouses or incites to activity: as a : incentive b : stimulant 1 c : an agent (as an environmental change) that directly influences the activity of a living organism or one of its parts (as by exciting a sensory organ or evoking muscular contraction or glandular secretion)
For sake of this conversation I will say a stimulus is something that gets us to change our given state of mind. Which could be anything.
Okay? Now, what is a pause?
a temporary stop
2 a : a break in a verse b : a brief suspension of the voice to indicate the limits and relations of sentences and their parts
3 : temporary inaction especially as caused by uncertainty : hesitation
4 a : the sign denoting a fermata b : a mark (as a period or comma) used in writing or printing to indicate or correspond to a pause of voice
5 : a reason or cause for pausing (as to reconsider)
6 : a function of an electronic device that pauses a recording
I will go with a temporary stop.
To summarize, there will always be stimulus and there will always be a pause in the human being. No matter how fast or slow either of the two occur it will always be there. In fact, in any living thing the two are present.
How----------------ever! Only in humans do we have a choice of how we RESPOND.

So, if the stimulus is always there and the pause is always there - What about the response? The other living organisms have no choice they rely on instinct. We are different. We can choose what we want.

Every second of everyday we are given a choice of how we will respond to our stimulus-
Usually it is our ability to recognize that we have a pause and a choice that determines the effectiveness of our response.

To me that one thought is so powerful it is scary. To consider the life we have or will continue to have will be predicated on that simple concept is mind boggling.

Respond. the powerful response to a given situation is vital to our outcome. Here is where attitude plays a major factor. It has been said that life is 10 % of what happens and 90% of how you respond to it. Well, I will go one step further and say the response is the all but 1 % of what happens because in the end it will be the last thing we do.

As we get close to tackling day 691 I will gather myself up and focus on an effective response to the day's challenge. My challenge in this regard is exercise hard and eat good. The stimulus is how my body feels I must pause and then respond to that to determine my outcome . In an effect, , it is my responsibility that I am looking for?

As fate would have it my response today was solid. I felt great as I started off on my daily ride.
My attitude was simple pedal as hard I as I could when I felt loose enough to pedal hard. As a result of practicing a little patience, I managed to burn 162 calories in the first 10 minutes. It has been a few days since I was able to burn that many calories in a ten minute period.The last day I burned that much was when i burned 170 calories in the first ten minutes on Friday January 8th which was day 686. On that day I was able to burn 502 calories in the first 30 minutes . Prior to that day, I was only able to burn 500 or more calories in 30 minutes 10 times.
My numbers today were better than yesterday which is the fourth day in a row I have increased my calorie burn of the previous day.

Since Sunday I have increased my calories from(Saturday) 802 to(Sunday) 844 to ( Monday)876 to(Tuesday) 919 to today( Wednesday) where I burned 939 calories in 60 minutes.

I love it! Went ahead and did the plank position for 20 straight minutes. Did 625 crunches.
I feel great. My stimulus was having a somewhat lethargic feeling before the workout. I paused and thought of all my strengths and focused only on them and then responded with my strongest workout of the week.

I say, can I get an AMEN?

No comments:

Post a Comment